The Cost of Interpersonal Violence: A global and national-level exercise
The Permanent Missions to the United Nations of Costa Rica, South Africa, and Switzerland, and the Pathfinders for Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies (hosted at the NYU Center on International Cooperation) are delighted to invite you to a discussion on The Cost of Interpersonal Violence: A global and national exercise on the sidelines of the United Nations’ 2023 High-Level Week.
September 22, 2023 | 1:00PM – 2:30PM (ET) | In-Person
Church Center to the United Nations
777 United Nations Plaza, 11th floor
New York, NY 10017
*Coffee and light refreshments will be provided at the event.
At the margins of the SDG Summit, this high-level discussion will bring together representatives of Costa Rica, South Africa, and Switzerland, alongside experts to discuss the findings of studies on the cost of violence in these national contexts, build the business case for violence reduction, and inform a global strategy to reduce interpersonal violence. The main goals of the discussion are to:
- Assess the costs of interpersonal violence at global and national level
- Share effective national interventions and policies to reduce violence
- Present approaches to better build the business case for greater investment in violence reduction
Format: Davos-style panel, followed by Q&A from the audience
- H.E. Patricia Danzi, Director-General, Swiss Agency for Cooperation and Development
- H.E. Lindiwe Zulu, Minister of Social Development, South Africa
- H.E. Alejandro Solano Ortiz, Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs and Worship, Costa Rica
- Dr. Richard Matzopoulos, Chief Specialist Scientist and Director, Burden of Disease Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council
- Dr. Anke Hoeffler, Chair in Development Policy, University of Konstanz
MC: Ms. Thami Nkadimeng, Founder, Thami Nkadimeng Group
Co-Moderators: Ms. Sarah Cliffe, Executive Director, NYU Center on International Cooperation, and Ms. Thami Nkadimeng
Join our mailing list to receive regular updates on our latest events, analysis, and resources.