Accelerating the Implementation of SDG 16 in support of sustainable development and sustaining peace: Leveraging partnerships on SSR between the Peace & Security and Development Pillars
Thursday, July 13, 2023 | 8:00 am – 9:30 am | In-Person Event
United Nations Secretariat, Conference Room 12*
United Nations, New York, NY
To attend the event, you must register and be in possession of a valid UN Grounds Pass)
Against the background of the need to accelerate SDG 16, and the requirement of enhanced policy coherence and strengthened partnerships as outlined in SDG 17, join the Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance, the Permanent Mission of Costa Rica to the United Nations at the 2023 High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development side event. This event will reflect on:
➢ Linkages between the 2030 agenda & the new agenda for peace?
➢ How Security Sector Reform as a tool for implementing SDG 16 can contribute to both sustainable development and sustaining peace?
➢ Why strengthened partnerships across peace & security & development pillars are essential to leveraging SSR as a tool for accelerating SDG 16?
The high-level panel will bring together:
- Amb. Maritza Chan, Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the United Nations
- Amb. Nathalie Chuard, Director, DCAF
- Amb. Arlene B. Tickner, Deputy Permanent Representative of Colombia to the United Nations
- Brian J. Williams, Chief, Financing for Peacebuilding Branch, UN DPPA
This will be followed by a panel with experts from DCAF, UN SSRU, UNDP, CIC New York and the Mission of Colombia to the United Nations to identify concrete recommendations to improve the security-development nexus as a precondition for leveraging SSR as a tool for implementing SDG 16.
- Vincenza Scherrer, Deputy Head, Policy and Research Division, DCAF
- Christophe Pradier, SSR Officer & Team Leader Knowledge, Research & Guidance, UN SSR Unit
- Sofiene Bacha, Policy Specialist, Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights, UNDP
- Betty Wainaina, Associate Director, Center on International Cooperation, New York University
*Light refreshments served from 9:30am onwards
Join our mailing list to receive regular updates on our latest events, analysis, and resources.