The Center on International Cooperation (CIC) is a non-profit research center housed at New York University (NYU). Our vision is to advance effective multilateral action to prevent crises and build peace, justice, and inclusion.
CIC seeks an experienced Communications Consultant to provide maternity leave coverage. This is a temporary full-time position for 4 months, beginning in early-mid September 2019 and continuing through early January 2020. Exact dates will be determined in consultation with senior management. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- In consultation with CIC leadership, implement the communications strategy that ensures CIC’s work is widely known and perceived as relevant and accessible for key target audiences.
- Develop a firm understanding of CIC’s purpose and work across its thematic and country/regional programs.
- Collaborate with staff in CIC programs to develop opportunities to raise the profile of their ideas and actions.
- Lead and deliver communications campaigns for CIC around events or issues.
- Help to commission and manage consultants and interns when necessary to deliver elements of the communications strategy.
- Manage all CIC social media platforms.
- Monitor social media platforms for CIC mentions and engagement opportunities; strong focus on tracking news and conversations related to CIC’s thematic and country/regional programs.
- Support CIC initiatives, news, and events on social media, including live-tweeting.
- Website management responsibilities (experience with Drupal preferred), including content remains engaging, relevant, and fresh.
- Source and edit content for websites from program staff, visiting scholars, non-resident fellows, and others in CIC’s networks. Ensure that content is updated regularly.
- Produce original content as needed, e.g., interviews, blog posts, etc.
- E-mail and print responsibilities
- Format and send all corporate emails, including CIC’s monthly e-newsletter (experience with Mailchimp preferred)
- Edit and maintain CIC’s suite of branded templates, including letterhead, presentation/report templates, business cards, briefing papers, etc.
- Assist with or manage production of printed products, including line editing, copy editing, typesetting, and proofing.
- Monitor and manage analytics for CIC web sites and social media accounts; track mentions of CIC in the news.
- Source images for CIC products.
- Provide program staff mentoring on effective social media outreach.
- Manage databases of and build up relationships with media contacts, including the UN press corps.
- Assist with event organization as needed, in particular on high-profile events with a clear communications angle.
- Assist programs to write press releases.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism/communications, international relations, or other relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience in social media, public relations, media relations, communications.
- Strong knowledge of and skills in social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Proven writing and editing abilities; knowledge of AP and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Ability to work on many projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Team player. Excellent interpersonal skills. Sense of humor.
- Enthusiasm for issue-oriented communications work and for promoting CIC’s messages to the public and policymakers.
- Basic HTML understanding and website management experience (Drupal).
- Familiarity with automated marketing platforms like MailChimp.
- Graphic design experience (Adobe Creative Cloud).
- Understanding of the UN system or subject-matter experience in any of our programmatic areas is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in at least one foreign language is a plus.
- Photography and video editing experience (Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie, Final Cut) is a plus.
- Master’s degree in journalism/communications, international relations, or other relevant is a plus.
Please send your resume, cover letter and short writing sample (no more than 3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please include “Communications Consultant.”
Deadline for applications is August 23, 2019.